On Sunday, March 22, 2015, Crystal, Cindy, and I spent our afternoon serving lunch to seniors at the Curry Senior Center, located in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. Upon our arrival, we checked in with Laura, the coordinator of the meal program at the center. She gave us a quick overview of the program and the lunch service schedule. The center provides essential social services to low-income seniors which includes healthcare, housing, and meals, to name a few. There was a good turnout of about a dozen total volunteers that day. In the kitchen, we met “Vergi”, the head cook, who assigned each of us roles in the food serving line. She endearingly named Crystal, Cindy, and I as the “Chicken Lady”, “Cabbage Lady”, and “Fruits Lady”, respectively, in regards to the food we were plating. The color composition of all the different foods on the plate looked very beautiful altogether! It was a joy to serve the senior citizens who came by that day. All of the volunteers got to have a taste of the scrumptious plate of food during our break in between the 2 lunch periods. After the second lunch period ended and plates of second servings were all passed out, we helped bus tables, wash/dry all the kitchenware, and clean-up the kitchen. As we chatted with Laura afterwards about our wonderful experience there, we learned that Vergi’s niece is a current beauty queen titleholder in the Philippines! The center has ongoing volunteer opportunities every week in the Dining Room and with Bingo Hosting; for more information, please click here.
- Day 2 of the 15 day social campaign spotlight goes to @y_yeezus ! 😊 Yesterday the ladies went through a poise and personality workshop. Check out what Y has to say about her workshop experience! Repost from @y_yeezus using @RepostRegramApp - Today, I learned that I need to be more confident on stage. I learned how to answer questions confidently and from the heart. These girls inspire me to become a better person with a little more confidence in myself💕 I also learned that smiles are the key to success😉 I can't wait until next practice!😁😁 #smilethroughthepain #poiseworkshop #day2 #MVNCI @mvnci
- Our first social campaign spotlight goes to @jujubeanns! Check out why she decided to join MVNCI: "Repost from @jujubeanns using @RepostRegramApp - Day 1: A reason why I joined MVNCIP | I never had the opportunity to grow up in a Vietnamese community, and i never embraced my own culture. After my mission trip to Vietnam Summer '14, I realized that I should be proud to be a Vietnamese-American and embody the roots and values of a Vietnamese woman. There are so many beautiful things about being Vietnamese that I am still discovering about, even today. Joining the MVNCIP was a wonderful opportunity for me to immerse myself in my own culture with other girls of the same background and interests--in addition to learning more about myself as an individual in the pageant process and making new friendships, connections, and experiences that I can carry with me throughout the years. Thank you for giving me a blessed opportunity for me to grow, @mvnci ! #MVNCI #15daychallenge"
- Having some polaroid camera fun before dance practice! 😊❤️ #pageantsisters #fandance #mvnci2016
- Our lovely contestants and workshop speaker of the day!
- Our first workshop is complete! Thank you President of the Miss Asian Global/Miss Asian America Pageant and co-founder of the Asian American Foundation, Vincent Ma for being our workshop speaker today! #pageant #mvnci2016 #sponsorshipworkshop